An international workshop attended by 20 participants from 11 countries. Jamaica, Turkey, Cambodia, Philippines, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Azerbaijan, Uganda, Suriname, Namibia and Slovakia.
The workshop was held at the UIBE (University of International Business and Economics) in Beijing.
Global Value Chains workshop topics:
* GVC and Climate Governance
* Enviromental Justice
* GVCs Analysis
* GVC and Development
* GVC and Global Competition
* Low Carbon and Green Development of Industrial Parks
* Global Energy Interconnection and Its Social-Economic Implications
* Global Economy Uncertainty and Changed Economic Integration
* GVC and Labor Market
* Tracing Carbon Leakage along GVC
Lectures and discussions alternated with visits to top companies in Beijing and Jinan (Shandong Province), which are becoming the center of China’s technological advancement, innovation and education. There are 58 universities in the city where about 800,000 students study. We visited several companies:
– INSPUR Group – Chinese giant and world leader in the ICT sector with a huge number of standards and patents. They presented a great number of amazing intelligent solutions.
– National Supercomputing Center – the largest of the 8 supercomputing centers in China. They are currently working on the world’s largest and fastest supercomputer, which will be up to 5 times faster than the world’s current fastest supercomputer. We have also seen a number of research projects in which the National Supercomputing Center participates.
– CTRL Group – China’s largest internet provider.
Jinan innovation valley – on a large area concentrated the best technological and innovative companies that have the ambition to be in the near future to match the American sillicon valley.
– China National Heavy Duty Truck Co., Ltd – a huge factory producing truck engines and a truck manufacturer linked commercially to MAN. The Best in Class Company!
– Shandong Hualing Cable – a leading company in research and development of materials and cables for extreme conditions. They collaborate with the Shanghai Nuclear Institute, several universities and the Shandong Scientific Academy.
– DH Gate – a huge e-commerce company operating worldwide and providing customers with various often innovative financial and business services.
China is making tremendous progress in building infrastructure, international trade, technology, innovation, environmental protection and in other areas. In many areas it can serve as an example for other countries!